CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Facing an unexpected blow

Yesterday I had my first class since spring break with one of my toughest teachers. I had prayed the night before that class would go well and that I would do my best to glorify God. I went into class feeling good and working hard.
Then after making a couple failings in a ronde jamb excersize my teacher lost it. She told me that I just wasn’t getting better and she couldn’t lie and pretend like I was. It was very hard to hear, not only because I spend so much time pouring my heart into my work but also because a few weeks ago she said I was improving so much. I don’t know what to do and I don’t know how much longer I can go without hearing something kind and motivating.
To say the least, I really miss my old teacher. She moved out of state last year, she was the one who introduced me to ballet when I was 11. She taught me everything until this year, she was always supportive.

I pray that I will improve to meet my new teacher’s standards, but until then I’m going to need a lot of support from my friends and family!

The_Ballerina

5 comments:

Holly said...

That would have been really hard to hear.
I suppose it's good that she was at least honest with you about your improvement, or lack of improvement, but I hope she also told you WHY you weren't improving and what you can do to get out of this rut you might be stuck in.
I don't think criticism is bad, so long as it's helpful and is accompanied by a solution, and not just standing on it's own telling someone "You're not good enough", then it's just destructive.
I hope your next class goes much better. :)
Holly

Erin said...

Wow, that's tough. I'm sure you're doing great, sounds like you're working as hard as you can. And, you know, despite what your teacher implies...you don't need to be perfect. You can strive for it, certainly, but don't feel like you have to attain some higher realm. Just be the best dancer you can, and if the teacher can't appreciate it, then I think it's become her problem.

Here's a couple of quotes:

'The composer Stravinsky had written a new piece with a difficult violin passage. After it had been in rehearsal for several weeks, the solo violinist came to Stravinsky and said he was sorry, he had tried his best, the passage was too difficult, no violinist could play it. Stravinsky said, "I understand that. What I am after is the sound of someone trying to play it."'
~Thomas Powers, quoted in the book Sunbeams

'I wouldn't have even known they were mistakes if my mom hadn't told me. But she did. And then she said those mistakes didn't matter because it was Horowitz. And Horowitz was not about perfection. He was about joy and art and music and life. And those things have mistakes in them.'
~A Crooked Kind of Perfect by Linda Urban

:) Stay strong! And God Bless! I love your blog.

The_Ballerina said...

I agree with you. I think that being honest is one of the great qualities of a teacher. And though it isn’t want I want to hear, I’m going to work through it and become better. A lot of the time it seems destructive, but I have only myself to blame, that’s the dance world for you!

Thanks Holly!

The_Ballerina said...

And thank you for the lovely quotes Erin!!!

Hannah said...

I TOTALLY agree with Erin. Where is that verse in the bible that says 'If God is for you, who can be against you?" it goes something like that... God is all for you girl! Even if your teacher isn't. Keep your eyes, and your heart towards him, and trust that his will will be done. Keep these verses in mind in times like these...

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me" Philipians 4:13

"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto your own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he will direct thy paths" Proverbs 3:5 & 6

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them that are called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

"Whether therefore ye eat or drink, do all to the glory of God" 1 Corinthians 10:31